- This event has passed.
Workshop: Applied Metaproteomics workshop Magdeburg 2021
November 22, 2021 - November 26, 2021€70
Educators: Dirk Benndorf, Kay Schallert, Robert Heyer, Tim Van Den Bossche, Stephan Fuchs
Date: 22.11.2021 – 26.11.2021
Location: Magdeburg, Germany (Universitätsplatz 2, Building 28)
Microbiome research is rapidly increasing. Meta-Omics data provide insights into microbial community influencing human health and biochemical cycle. Metaproteomics focusses on proteins representing the expressed genes and functions. In contrast to metagenomics or metatranscriptomics, the extraction and the analysis of proteins from human or environmental samples is challenging.
The de.NBI course on Applied Metaproteomics trains the participants to apply a complete workflow starting from design of experiments via sample preparation to measurement and bioinformatics analysis of high-resolution MS data. Maximum 10 participants are strongly encouraged to analyze their own samples to start their own metaproteomics project.
The workshop takes place at chair of bioprocess engineering at Otto-von-Guericke University Magdeburg. The team of microbial communities head by Dr. Dirk Benndorf is well experienced in metaproteomics. The samples will be measured on newly purchased timsTOF Pro MS. His group develops the MetaProteomAnalyzer service facilitating the analysis of of metaproteomic data. The provision of service is supported by the German Network for Bioinformatics Infrastructure – de.NBI.
- Introduction to metaproteomics (lecture)
- Design of experiments and sample preparation (including short presentations regarding the participant´s samples)
- Sample preparation I (protein extraction, protein quantification, FASP digest)
- Introduction to the MPA 2.0 (lecture)
- Sample preparation II (peptide extraction, SDS-PAGE)
- Introduction to high resolution mass spectrometry (lecture)
- measurement of participant’s samples I
- measurement of participant’s samples II
- MPA 2.0 exercise I (working with a small reference dataset, db searching, metaprotein concept)
- MPA 2.0 exercise II (loading user db, BLAST search of unknown hits, quantitative comparison of datasets, visualization and data export)
- City tour (6.30pm from Cathedral) und dinner (8pm, restaurant Lago di Garda)
- training at MS I (calibration, setup of LC-MS methods)
- MPA 2.0 exercise III (analyzing own data)
- training at MS II (solvent exchange, trouble shooting)
- Presentation Guest Speaker, CAMPI: critical assessment of metaproteomics data interpretation (Tim Van Den Bossche)
- Metaproteomics Initiative (Tim Van Den Bossche)
- Prophane workshop (Stephan Fuchs)
- MPA IV (exporting data and preparing a presentation)
- short presentations of participant‘s results
To apply a complete workflow starting from design of experiments via sample preparation to measurement and bioinformatics analysis of high-resolution MS data.
Registration via register form at the top of this page. Or wirte an email to email@example.com or to firstname.lastname@example.org
(Fee: 70 €)
Microbiome, MPA, Metaproteomics, MetaProteomeAnalyzer,
Dirk Benndorf (email@example.com), Robert Heyer (firstname.lastname@example.org), Kay Schallert (email@example.com), MPA Support Email (firstname.lastname@example.org)